Monday, August 09, 2010

Being Pinoy 101: Balut

In one of my earlier entries, I have shared that I would often be mistaken as an Indonesian and not a Filipino.

Hmm, that made me think of showing them that I am really Pinoy aside from speaking Filipino. Let me start with food. Foods that that are truly Filipino Top on the list: Balut. A fertilized duck (or chicken) egg with a nearly-developed embryo inside that is boiled and eaten in the shell. Usually eaten with a pinch of salt and sometimes with spicy vinegar. This is usually being sold by a Manong, carrying a basket, roaming around the village, shouting " Baluuuuuttt.." at night (starting from 9pm or around that time). Balut is belived to be aphrodisiac and energy booster. You would see a lot of drivers and people working in the night shift eating balut as for them, it makes them awake for the night.

I am missing this. Honestly.



No comments: